Saturday, March 12, 2011

Japan Quakes


OK, so I've seen my fair share of Japanese disaster flicks; in fact I'm a fair bit of a fan.

I loved Godzilla movies when I was a kid - the way in which he walloped little balsa-wood versions of Tokyo and Osaka - and I still DJ out the awesome theme song to Mothra (モスラ, 1961), written by Yuji Koseki and sung by The Peanuts.

But yesterday was a little too close to home, and I say that not just because I currently live in Tokyo. The quakes and shakes this time were real, not cheap FX on celluloid with high-definition surround sound.

Just before 3:00pm yesterday I was with my five-year-old daughter at her music class, in a building several storeys high; that's when the first quake hit - and it was the worst tremor I've felt in the 10 years I've been living in Tokyo.

The place was literally bouncing and rocking like a small boat in a very big storm. Women were sheltering their kids and diving under tables, but the staff handled it all with aplomb, handing out blankets and helmets as we went through another couple of big aftershocks.

Thank god my wife was OK too and we all got home safely.

My mate Devin tells me we just survived the fifth biggest earthquake in recorded history. Zounds. This doesn't make any of the sights and signs on the news easier, however.

From the 24-hour televised images we're seeing of Miyagi, it's like The Day After Tomorrow rolled up in Dante's Inferno.

Awful stuff.

4 comments:

llewellyn said...

Do you have any idea what the conditions are like around Matsushima as far as Nobiru, nothing really coming through here in Australia.

Japan Australia said...

It is the strongest earthquake ever recorded in Japan, and the seventh biggest in history. Glad that you are OK.

God bless Japan and our wishes and thoughts are with you after the terrible tragedy.

Japan Australia

Anonymous said...

Prayer to the people of Japan and all living through what must be the most horrific situation ever.
Peace and Love.

Unknown said...

Ta, mates!!
Really, really appreciated.